request info email to friend
Use Caution to Avoid Holiday Fires
The holidays are a time for feasting, fellowship, celebration -- and house fires. According to the American Red Cross, there are nearly 47,000 fires during the winter holidays, resulting in more than 500 deaths, 2,200 injuries and $554 million in property damage. To keep your family safe this season:
At The Bensman Group, we are always happy to discuss ways you can manage your risk. Contact us at 847-572-0808 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check all holiday lights before you plug them in; if you aren't sure about a string of lights, don't use it. And always unplug indoor and outdoor lights when you are gone or in bed.
- If you have a real tree, make sure it is fresh and keep it watered. Don't place it close to a heat vent or fireplace, and unplug the lights when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Never leave candles -- from scented candles to tapers on your table -- unattended, and don't put them near curtains or other flammable materials.
- Keep anything flammable -- like towels, oven mitts, clothing, etc. -- away from the stove. Be very careful taking anything hot out of the stove or oven. Avoid splashing hot liquids.
- Make sure your fireplace and chimney are cleaned and ready before you start a fire. Don't leave or go to bed until you are sure the fire is out. And don't burn wrapping paper in the fireplace.
- If you want to deep fry your turkey, set up the fryer far away from your house or garage, keep kids and pets away, and never leave it unattended.