request info email to friend
Taking a Winter Vacation? Take Care
Are you heading for the beach or the slopes? Before you go, take these steps to keep your home safe while you are away.
- Stop your mail and newspaper or ask a trusted neighbor to pick them up while you are gone. If there is a chance you might get a package delivered, ask someone to watch for that and hold it for you until you return.
- Arrange to keep your walk and driveway shoveled. If you have curbside garbage pickup, ask someone to take your can to the curb on garbage day and then put it back.
- Keep your ground-floor, street-facing curtains closed, and make sure your outside lights come on at dusk and go off at dawn. Put inside lights on timers. You can set the timers so that different lights turn on and off at different times.
- Lock the door leading from your garage to your house so that if someone steals your car with a garage door opener in it, the thief can't get in the house. Also, lock all outside doors and windows, even on upper floors.
- Make sure a friend or relative knows where you are and how to reach you.
- Depending on where you live, you can alert the police and fire department of your absence so they can keep a special eye on your house.
- Stay off social media at least until you return. You don't want to spread the word that you are not home.
At The Bensman Group, we work hard to help keep you protected. To talk about any risk management need, contact us at 847-572-0828 or firstname.lastname@example.org.