Bensman Risk Management, Inc.

Insurable Interests

Bensman Risk Management, Inc.
2333 Waukegan Road Suite 275
Bannockburn, IL 60015
847-572-0800 Phone
847-572-0502 Fax

Insurable Interests may offer general financial, insurance, tax and business ideas. However, due to the ever-changing tax laws as well as the complexity of the financial industry, you should seek professional advice before implementing any of the ideas contained in this newsletter. The Bensman Group, Bensman Associates Ltd., Bensman Risk Management, Inc. or Schemata, L.L.C. assumes no liability whatsoever in connection with the use of this newsletter.

Insurable Interests was created by The Bensman Group and Osmosis Digital Marketing. Neither The Bensman Group nor Kestra IS nor Kestra AS are affiliated with Osmosis Digital Marketing.

You are receiving this newsletter because you provided your email address to receive electronic communications from The Bensman Group. Please click on "Manage Your Profile" above to leave this email list or modify your profile. Thank you

Securities offered through Kestra Investment Services, LLC (Kestra IS), Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Kestra Advisory Services, LLC (Kestra AS). Kestra IS and Kestra AS are not affiliated with The Bensman Group, Bensman Associates Ltd., Bensman Risk Management, Inc. or Schemata, L.L.C.

request info email to friend

Insurable Interests

Vol. 11, Issue 12August 2016


A Short Course on Insurance and School

Sending a child off to boarding school or college can be an exciting and emotional time. There are lots of things to think about and plan for. But we can help you check one major concern off your list: insurance.

Car insurance. If your child is going to school more than 100 miles away and does not take a car, let us know because you probably can get a credit on your car insurance premium. If your child takes a car to school, you also need to let us know so that we can update your coverage with your carrier.

Property insurance. If your child is in high school or is an undergraduate, the child’s property is covered under your homeowner’s policy; you do not need to buy special dorm insurance if the student lives in the dorm. You also don’t need separate rental coverage if your student lives in a unit. Losses are subject to the deductible on your homeowner’s policy, but it is possible to extend first-dollar coverage for items such as laptops and tablets.

Liability coverage. If you are concerned about liability, you can get a liability extension on your homeowner's and personal umbrella policy while your student is away at school.

Graduates. If your student has graduated, has a job and is self-supporting, he or she is responsible for getting coverage; your policies no longer apply. But if you still are paying a significant amount of your child’s expenses – such as if he or she is in graduate school -- you might be able to extend coverage through your policies. Some companies are eliminating this coverage extension for students age 25 and over, so please contact our office so we can confirm the right coverage for your specific situation.

The bottom line. Before your student heads to campus, give us a call. We can work with you and your carrier to find the solution that is most cost-effective for you and your student.

We are always happy to discuss these and any other insurance questions you might have. Just contact us at 847-572-0820 or

copyright     privacy policy