Bensman Risk Management, Inc.

Insurable Interests

Bensman Risk Management, Inc.
2333 Waukegan Road Suite 275
Bannockburn, IL 60015
847-572-0800 Phone
847-572-0502 Fax

Insurable Interests may offer general financial, insurance, tax and business ideas. However, due to the ever-changing tax laws as well as the complexity of the financial industry, you should seek professional advice before implementing any of the ideas contained in this newsletter. The Bensman Group, Bensman Associates Ltd., Bensman Risk Management, Inc. or Schemata, L.L.C. assumes no liability whatsoever in connection with the use of this newsletter.

Insurable Interests was created by The Bensman Group and Osmosis Digital Marketing. Neither The Bensman Group nor Kestra IS nor Kestra AS are affiliated with Osmosis Digital Marketing.

You are receiving this newsletter because you provided your email address to receive electronic communications from The Bensman Group. Please click on "Manage Your Profile" above to leave this email list or modify your profile. Thank you

Securities offered through Kestra Investment Services, LLC (Kestra IS), Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisory Services offered through Kestra Advisory Services, LLC (Kestra AS). Kestra IS and Kestra AS are not affiliated with The Bensman Group, Bensman Associates Ltd., Bensman Risk Management, Inc. or Schemata, L.L.C.

request info email to friend

Insurable Interests

Vol. 14, Issue 11July 2019


Insurance Answers for Your Child Going Away to School

If your child is going to college or boarding school next month, give us a call now to discuss your student's insurance coverage options.

First, if your student's school is more than 100 miles away and the student does not take a car, you probably can get a credit on your car insurance premium. If your student does take a car, let us know so that we can update your records.

You probably don't need to buy dorm insurance to cover your student's personal property; most homeowner's policies cover a student in a dorm. But you might want to consider extending first-dollar coverage, especially for items such as tablets and laptops. You also might want to get a liability extension on your homeowner's and personal umbrella policy.

If your student lives in a rental property, it is possible that your coverage can be extended to the unit, although we need to let your insurer know the property address. It also is possible you might need a separate policy for a rental unit. And if you decide to buy a condo or house for your student to live in, you need separate property and liability coverage for that location.

Finally, once your student graduates and is self-supporting, he or she is no longer covered under your homeowner's policy. If your student is not self-supporting -- for example, is going on to medical or law school and you are paying for it -- different carriers have different rules for extending coverage to adult children.

We are happy to work with you to make sure there are no insurance surprises when your student goes to college or boarding school. Just contact us at 847-572-0828 or

copyright     privacy policy