request info email to friend
Boating Safety Tips
Summer is boating time, and it is great fun to get out on the water. However, it is important to be safe. The U.S. Coast Guard offers some tips for boating safety:
- Always wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket that fits you, and make sure everyone in the boat wears one, too.
- Never boat when you are impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Make sure your boat has safety equipment, including flares, a paddle and a marine radio.
- Don't overload your boat, and don't carry more people than you have life jackets.
- Take a boating safety class.
- Never boat at night unless you have the required lights.
- When you go out on your boat, always let someone on shore know where you are going and when you plan to be back.